Friday, May 14, 2004

Thoughts on graduating:

In exactly 3 weeks, I'll be officially unemployed, for an indefinite period.
Fuck.
Five years of MIT and I can't even find a job? What's wrong with me???

Was clearing out old notes today, and here's what my five-year education boils down to -

* US$20,000 per semester x 10 = $200,000 (enough to buy a house / a Ferrari)
* 15 or so lever arch files + ring binders
* 1 foot stack of A4 paper (all gone to the recycling bin)
* Dabbled in 10 courses: - some more in-depthly than others
3 (Material Science)
4 (Architecture)
8 (Physics)
11 (Urban Planning)
12 (Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Science)
14 (Economics)
17 (Political Science)
18 (Maths)
21 (Humanities)
CMS (Comparative Media Studies)

I found my lever arch of old A Level Geography notes. Tonnes of memories rushing back. Miss Tudge's
handwriting on my old essays still gives me goosebumps.

Then I realise something in me died during these years at MIT - optimism, ideals, direction and self-confidence.
Back when I was a freshman, I wanted to save the world as an urban planner.
Now I still want to save the world, but I don't know how - art and film don't feed hungry people.

All this existential angst when I still have to write three two* more papers.


* I can't believe my French Film prof just said, "You've been doing excellent work this semester, and since you're a senior, why don't you forget about paper 3?"
\^o^/ < ass is now one-third saved. Humanities profs rock!!

No comments: