Thursday, June 10, 2004

Top-rank university graduate to become coffee-making minion

Sigh. Is THIS the best I can do?

RICHARD MEIER & PARTNERS
-> RECEPTION/OFFICE ASSISTANT <-

Full Time Entry Level
New York, NY.

Company Description
Prestigious International Architecture Firm.

Job Qualifications
College graduate with 1 to 2+ years work experience, preferably with a background in architecture or design. Previous office experience necessary. Required knowledge of MS Word and Excel. Photoshop and other graphic programs a plus.

Job Description
Handle front office reception and diverse general administrative duties including phones, faxes and filing. Assist with marketing, public relations and archives. Reports to the Director of Communications. This is a great opportunity for aspiring architects as you will be exposed to the international culture of this world renown architectural firm including involvement in small and large scale high-profile projects, clients, consultants, publications and art institutions. Studio environment is intellectual and deceptively quiet, yet busy and demanding. While routine responsibilities will take most of your time, you have some flexibility to engage yourself if you demonstrate interest and aptitude. This position has been previously held by two Brown University alumni.


Second round next week, with THE Richard Meier himself. Scary.

To be honest, I'm not all that thrilled about the position, seeing how I'd be mostly doing "film queen" type work - film queen being the HK term for female interns whose reigns are limited to the Xerox machine. And I've heard from another rock-star-caste architect [see May 7th entry] that Mr. M is not exactly the friendliest of people. In fact, I have already been warned about his pet peeves. How charming.

Update [6/16/2004]-
Went to second round and have been rejected for said position. The interview only lasted for 5 mins, where I showed the Eminent Mr. Meier my juvenile artwork. Then he asked me about MIT, CLC and the weather on graduation day. He acted nicer than I expected, but to be honest I can never picture myself in an office where everything is stark white. [see Firm Profile] It's just....so not me.

No comments: