Saturday, July 26, 2003

ROBBED!!!

We don't know how it happened.

The door was locked when we came home; the place was intact. But 600 euros in cash was taken from me, and 400 from Tracie, my flatmate. We had a safe in the apartment, but the hotel managment staff didn't have the key, so we couldn't use it. What scares me is that it was no random theft; it was done by someone who has the keys to our apartment. With both of us, we hid our cash in envelopes in the wardrobe. Mine were tucked away with a tonne of plastic bags in my backpack, left in the wardrobe. The thief must have been in the apartment before to know where to look. What was strange was that only euros were taken; I had an envelope with euros, pound sterling and HK dollars in it; only euros were taken. Tere had a wad of US dollars sitting in plain view in the wardrobe, yet it was untouched. Credit cards, passports and electronics were left alone. Even more disturbingly, the thief left 300 euros (the envelope with my airfare had 800) and 200 in Tracie's (she had 600). Did the thief do what he / she did just for kicks?

The timing couldn't be better; Tracie is leaving today, Tere and I on Monday. There's nothing we can do. That 600 euros was re-imbursement from the museum for my airfare. Now I'm fucked with my credit card bill. I'm just upset, angry and speechless. We didn't get mugged in Florence or Rome or any touristy destinations, but in our own home.

No comments: