Sunday, February 22, 2004

Lost in Translation:

Finally finally watched the movie, after a 5 month delay.

It made me happy, it made me sad. Moreover, it reminded me of so many little moments I collected in different countries over the past few months. I can totally relate to the sense of utter alienation / awe - I felt exactly the same when I was in Italy: out of place, wrong race, wrong gender, only minus jet lag.

Moments that parallel my memories:

- Charlotte trying to call her friend >> me trying to reach my family on my first day in Italy. I felt so lonely, so helpless I HAD to talk to someone. Only no one was there to listen.
- Bob and Charlotte's escape from the hotel >> Hermione and my mad impromptu getaway to Edinburgh
- Bob telling Charlotte about his first kid >> My dad telling me about his "magic knife" getting confiscated by customs. I miss my parents. Really. Even if I sound like I'm too lazy to have a conversation on the phone.
- Charlotte's awe at the temple >> my amazement on a visit to a remote Lucchese mountain enclave
- Bob's goodbye >> my hesitation / heartache at Schipol Airport, Amsterdam.

No comments: