Thursday, October 28, 2004

Goods of Desire:

Worked till I dropped yesterday & today, as Christie's HK is holding auction previews till Sat., then auctions on Sun and Mon. Being an intern with not much to do (or rather, an intern so inexperienced that she's unfit to handle fired clay worth a cool US$ 2.5 million) I happily sneaked into the 20th c. Chinese art, Asian contemporary art and SE Asian painting sections, rooms that were more my natural habitat. Unaware that art can instill that strong, impulsive desire to own the way designer fashion does, my heart pounded when I caught sight of the works below. Purely love at first sight.


Boats at the Beach by Indonesian artist Srihadi Sudarsono.
This is something I can look at forever, especially at the end of a long day. Rothko meets the Impressionists. And oh so out of my price range. *deep sigh*


Anchang Village, collage sewn with denim scraps by Korean artist Choi So-Young. (Born in 1980?! She's the same age as me!) *feelings of incompetency creeping in*


The Grain - Chest by Korean artist Kim Duck-Yong, collage with wooden blocks and bronze locks inlaid.


Iron wire sculpture imitating crackled celadon ceramics, by Korean artist Cheong Kwang-Ho (Wow I'm "discovering" a whole nation of talents here)

Now I'm tempted to prod / blackmail / guilt trip my dad into buying the cheapest works ("Hey I never asked for a graduation present, and I'm never gonna pass the driving test..."), or even digging into my own savings... *red finance siren lights flashing*

No comments: