Monday, December 09, 2002

My claim-to-fame in Architecture:

Got over-excited today in lecture. We finally got to the more interesting part of the course (which unfortunately, is the shortest part as it's at the end of the semester): Modernism. The lecturer mentionned Philip Johnson as the person who institutionalised the International Style (as championed by Mies Van der Rohe, Le Corbusier etc.) in America when he held an exhibition about it at MoMA.

I had an unbearable urge to scream: "I met him at his Glass House!". Too bad decorum and logic overruled impulse.

Two years ago, I was interning with an alumni, Hilary Lewis, who was writing her second autobiography on PJ (who is now 96 and still working, bless him). As part of work-shadowing, she brought me along to New Canaan, Connecticut to one of her interviews with PJ at his private estate.
Back then, I was an ignorant lass and had very little idea of the significance of the meeting. Anyone with any knowledge of architecture history would have killed to meet this man. He is literally the Godfather of American Architecture, post 1950. (see the Seagram Building: [1][2], a Manhattan skyscraper Mies and him collaborated on) But no, it was me who got to meet him.

The Godfather is a fragile-looking, but dignified old man. He had a mischievous twinkle in his eyes, like a conspiring little boy. He also had the coolest glasses - round, black bakelite ones with straight arms and no earpiece. (Later on, after seeing more eminnent architects with cool glasses, I've come to the conclusion that cool glasses are a contributing factor in the making of a successful architect.) He also has two big fluffy Keeshonds - the cutest and friendliest dogs I've ever "met". (They liked me so much that they dribbled all over me and my stuff.)

My brief exchange of words with the Great Man went as follows -

Hilary: This is Chin Yan, an aspiring urban planner from MIT.
PJ: [in despise] Oh, you're one of those, are you?
me: [embarrassed smile]

No comments: