Saturday, January 25, 2003

Senior ball blues:

If only finding a man for the occasion is as easy as finding the perfect dress. The idiosyncrasies of American expectations make it look like feminism never existed. A girl can have the perfect frock that makes her feel a million bucks, (a white Sophie Sitbon number in my case: a reworked, too-good-to-be-true hand-me-down from my skinny, former-social-butterfly aunt) and still be socially inadequate / inept because she brings no male company to the party [read: Norma No Date] :(
In the eyes of peers, graduating from CLC sans Prom meant that I had a deprived high school experience. No men in tux, no limos, no hotel ballrooms, no cheesy pictures of couples.
Not that I missed out on partying: I had more than my share of Christmas Eve balls, when having polystyrene snow fights with my bros and cousins was enough to entertain me well into the wee hours of Christmas Day.

No comments: