Sunday, January 19, 2003

when you need to shop, you need to shop:

even if it's -14'C outside and takes a 4 hour busride to get there.

Being the impulsive nut that I am, "I aint seen the Bright Lights on this side of the Atlantic for two years!" seemed like a good enough reason for a day trip to the Big Apple.
Armed with subway + street map and memories from a past life, I thought I'd be all set, orientation-wise. Duh. The streets of Soho looked familiar like a deja-vu, but I had no idea where I was heading and ended up circling around the same few blocks. (I was trying so hard to look like I belonged there. Maybe too hard for me own good.)
In the end, i did less damage to my wallet than I had expected. Which leaves me an excuse to make a second visit...

I did however make my second goal of the trip: the latest show of John Maeda, renowned computer graphic artist / MIT Media Lab professor, in Chelsea. It left me totally baffled, but upon reading the brochure, it all made sense - in that quirky sweet Maeda way.

ps/ When you walk into the Prada flagship thinking it must be the latest fashion / art museum, you know you're no longer in the league of trendy urbanites :P

No comments: