Monday, October 20, 2003

Currently obsessed with....

Buying art.

Not postcards or posters, but the real deal (or more like limited edition prints / miniatures that are within my affordability). Very very bad. For wallet and for my level of concentration on more important things in life. (like graduating and finding a job) To add insult to injury, I'm using eBay as my portal to the collectors' sphere.

Works in question -



Martin Parr: Common Sense series, 1998


Takashi Murakami: Kerotan print, 2001


T.M.: Superflat Museum toy figures, 2003


Update: {10/28/2003}

My own set of Takashi Murakami shokugan has arrived!! Shokugan means snack toy, or literally eat play in Japanese, and is usually free toys that come with kids' snacks. Murakami wanted his shokugan's to stimulate the public's interest in contemporary art, and these are intended as a "starter kit" for beginner collector's. [I can tell you the intent is working ;) ]

The Roppongi Hills edition has 6 figures and is produced in an edition of 15,000. Each figure is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity and a small brochure giving the inspiration or history behind each figure. Murakami also cited in detail his different sources of inspiration on each brochure, which I thought was a nice touch.