Saturday, December 04, 2004

How Teddy Ruxpin ruined my so-called life


Funny how one of my fav toys from when I was 6 or 7 can ruin my beautiful breezy Saturday morning as a fully-grown adult. Ever since I started my new job as a programme assistant at HK Commercial Radio, I've been needing to dig up long forgotten Hongkie culture trivia for the "Street Smart" game segment of the show. On Friday, the boss said we needed more questions for kids who phone-in, and told us on a whim to look up Cantonese nursery rhymes. Of bloody course no one on the research team remembers any of them in whole. It's easy to say,"Why don't you Google it then?" But we've been verbally banned from using the web - apparently that makes our pea-brains retarded (anyway that's another story)

So at 7 am, Saturday morning finds me (I now work Saturdays too damn it) rummaging through my bro's drawer filled with antique cassettes from the 80's. Ha! I thought... treasure trove filled with nursery rhymes. Off to the cassette deck at home. I open the cassette cases. Teddy Ruxpin on the air balloon. Teddy Ruxpin rescues Grubby the catepillar from the mud monsters. Teddy Ruxpin does this and that. ARRRR! All but two were actually nursery rhymes, but the cassette wheels just refused to move inside the tape deck. Screw my college degree, I now need to dig out lyrics from nursery rhymes.

So, if you happen to live in HK, and are even vaguely curious about what is that I now do (tho not at all well) for a living, tune into FM 88.1 every Mon - Fri 3-5pm for "Yau Yee Banzai" (sort of translates to "Friendship Forever") For those who don't live here, they stream it on the web... sorry, Cantonese only. You might even hear me on air as a super-irrelevant cameo type.

No comments: