Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Now that I actually have some form of life, I have no time to blog about it.
To summarise my past week, I've slap dashed together:

Flushing

- Got totally lost with Alice in my supposed culinary homeland, given it is the abyss of Chinese immigrants and therefore cheap authentic Chinese food. It really is a different planet once you leave the ickle island of Manhattan. A + I stuck out like sore thumbs on the 7 train, which took almost an hour to get from Grand Central to Flushing. Noted that dress size and men's smelliness / hair greasiness increased exponentially as distance from Manhattan increased.

- Live toads sold in a supermarket, also in Flushing. Not even in Hong Kong does moving food get so exotic. Being our whitewashed squeemish selves, A + I headed out of the supermarket in no time.

- Soy milk told in takeout plastic tubs. Hello?! Even bubble tea comes in insta-wrap cups... let's get into the 21st century people.

Laundry day blues

Discovered my building charges a murderous $2 per washer load, and $4 for each 1 hour dryer cycle (as supposed to 75 cents for anything back in my school days). And it's friggin' COIN-OP. How is anyone supposed to have $10 in quarters? To avoid being ripped off, I decided to make use of natural resources and take advantage of the hot summer sun. Which led me to hang laundry ghetto Chinese style - on the balcony, like old amahs do. Which led to my being gawked at by any posh Upper East Siders who looked up.
Thank god no one knows me around here. Yet.

Will be on TV!

Just came home from commercial shoot for the newish Tony Oursler video installation at the Met. Played dispensable cable wrangler / runner /extra, and was required to look amused / perplexed at a white blob that resembled "a bloody Mr. Potatohead" according to my colleague,


with silly voiceovers that said "Boom boom boom.... I will kill y'all..." in a demonic husky voice, and projections of endless explosions, flames and misplaced blinking eyes and mouth. Have to find out when / which station the ad will air on...

No comments: