Monday, June 16, 2003

Arrived here in Lucca, Italy. Amazingly am still in one piece. Am here all by myself as team mates are not arriving till later today / tomorrow, and boss is travelling around Italy to meet the curators of the exhibit. Am left to my own devices =o


The museum has arranged for us to stay in a huge, sunny beautiful apartment, which faces a small piazza. I'll be sharing it with Claudio, an Italian male team mate whom I've never met and is arriving this evening. Fingers crossed he won't be the Slimey Italian Stallion stereotype ;)

Am quite scared cos I can't speak Italian. AT ALL. Can barely read signs and speak touristy phrases with an appalling English accent. People, even the ones working at the museum speak v. little english. Apt has no phone, and for some reason my cell can't make calls like it's supposed to. Have yet to figure out the telly which supposedly has satellite TV. Am cut off from all things familiar....

I must come off as being ungrateful, whining even when I'm at such a beautiful place. Have to get out of my nocturnal MIT mode 'cos everyone sleeps after midnight. Being a citygal, I find the ringing silence frightening. To top it all off, when I went to shut the shutters at the balcony, some dude walking by gave me the finger for no apparent reason. What a welcome to Italia. >.<