Friday, November 01, 2002

was reading a book review in Print mag today on The Harvard Design School Guide to Shopping [edited by Rem Koolhaas et al.], a 800-page collection of papers that thouroughly examine the history of the shopping malls and their design, complete with �bercool graphics . There was a witty observation on how malls are disregarded as "high architecture":
- "High architects" are usually boys. Shopping is girly. Therefore high architects "don't do" malls; even if they've done them they'll never put those projects on their resume. Those who have publicised theirs (like Gehry and Venturi) have a history of being asked to do "urban utopia" projects

Does that mean I'm doomed? If I'm going to be an architect, I'm *positive* I won't say no to a shopping mall project... In that logic I'll have to go back to urban planning to gain any respectability.... eeeeks

No comments: