Sunday, November 17, 2002

Would highly recommend everyone I know to see Frida. I'm not sure how true the movie was about Frida Kahlo's life but it definitely cast her in a different light other than the "victim" blurb you usually hear from art historians. You really get a good picture of what a passionate person Kahlo was, and of her antagonistic relationship with Diego Riveria.
The movie was shot on location in beautiful Art Noveau Mexico (oh I HAVE to go back now); they also used subtle but fantastic special effects, blending Kahlo's most well known paintings into her dreamscape and her life in reality. Like Mexican culture and Kahlo's dress sense, the movie is saturated with lush colours.
Last but not least, Salma Hayek is stellar, and hot enough to turn a straight woman into a lesbian. The tango (?) scene in the movie with Ashley Judd screams sexy without showing too much flesh.
---------------------------------------------------

On Pottermania:
As a Potter fan myself, I can't say I was that thrilled with the new movie. The SFX are great, but the scriptwriter churned out some really corny lines towards the end. (ran out of inspiration?) I still think Daniel Radcliffe needs to broaden his expressions vocabulary - ie. not just the grin + "I'm so stunned I've got a small gobstopper stuck in my mouth" look.


No comments: